Thursday 14 March 2013

Sweet and sour chicken noodles

My 4th meal with my chicken, is sweet and sour chicken noodles. I am cheating tonight and using a sauce as it is a meeting night here, and I am terrible for over-working myself and then being too tired and in pain to get to our meeting.

So, I used:
2 handfuls leftover roast chicken
1 x pack noodles 
Sweet and sour sauce (Ill explain this a bit later)
1 carrot
1 pepper
1 red onion
Half a handful chopped spring onions (good job I had them chopped in the freezer)
Cashew nuts




Now, you can buy a jar of sweet and sour sauce at any supermarket. Id recommend buying several when on offer. Lidl has them on their half price weekend offers for 34p jar regularly.
The one i'm using I got from approved food recently (along with the noodles). It is a 1.1kilo jar of concentrated sauce (in other words it makes double, 2.2kilo sauce) and I am obviously not going to use it all today! It was 99p. 
So, when I have leftover sauce from a bulk pack, or even that ive made myself, I freeze the remainder like this:



Re-Useable silicone muffin cases in a muffin tray, then peel the cases off and transfer the frozen sauce portions into a labelled bag. Ive put 'makes double' on mine to remind me to add as much water as there is sauce.
It provides little portion-sized sauces you can pop out of the freezer and defrost whenever you need them.

So, today I used 100ml concentrated sauce and added 100ml of water to make 200ml of sweet and sour sauce.



Chop your veggies, or take your pre-chopped veggies out of the freezer, and stir fry until softened. Add noddles and sauce and let it warm through for a couple of minuits. These noodles are pre-cooked, it was a case of 12 packs noodles for 99p. But usually I would use half a pack of dried noodles, pre-boil them and add to the stir fry cooked.



Stir through your cooked chicken and cashew nuts, and your done! dead easy :)





I found half a pack of spring rolls and prawn toast at the bottom of the freezer leftover from a trip to jack fultons month, so will be serving with them.

And......



All gone! I could have stretched the chicken out an extra meal, but we have had enough leftover chicken and we wanted a really decent meal before the meeting tonight, so I put all the leftover chicken in.

Im not sure what tomorrow will be yet, I'm thinking about making a pizza, but I have some cobs to use up so maybe sausage and egg cobs with potato wedges. Will have to wait and see.
Very happy with my £4 this week :) 3 main meals for 4 and a lunch for 4. I usually do this once a month or so. I still have the chicken stock in the fridge to use up too so will have to think of something for that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment