Friday 1 March 2013

End of the week

Means shopping time! Time to take stock and use up any fresh produce that needs using. for me, this was 2 kilo's of carrots. I also had a yellow pepper and 2 tiny little leeks from my garden. Chopped it all into the slow cooker this morning with 2 pints stock, 2 big handfulls of coriander, a shake of garlic, grated clove of garlic and shake of cumin. Smells good :) will blend this for soup tonight for tea.

The other kilo of carrots, I grated and froze, I can add handfuls to stew/bolognase/chilli etc. Also cuts down on my preperation time when cooking meals. 

I have a ham hock I bought for £1.50 from the butchers. I have yet to weigh it, but I imagine it is near 2 kilos. Of course there is bone in there aswel as meat, Im going to be using it to make ham stock in the slow cooker. I want to try and stretch this over 3 meals, so here is my plan:

Mon - Ham and pea risotto with some stock from slow cooker, freeze leftovers.
Tues - Pulled ham cobs with BBQ sauce and potato wedges.
Weds - With the remaining stock I will be making a ham an and pea soup bulked out with lots of veg, and frozen. 
Any leftover meat will be frozen for future meals.

Not bad for £1.50. Think I may keep one of these in the freezer for regular meals. 

Aldi's super 6 this week arent very good, but I will be getting the following for 49p each, and freezing:
2 x bunches spring onions
2 x hearts celery
3 x chateny carrots

Lidl doesnt have anything on offer this weekend that I can use, so no stocking up there.
Im using mainly stuff from the freezer this upcoming week as i'm still hurting a bit, and i'm trying to work my way through the freezer. The plan (haha! like they ever work out) is as follows:
Saturday: canned soup (needs using up) and fresh bread.
Sunday: feta and tomato quiche, with chickpea and lemon cous cous.
Monday: Ham and pea risotto and garlic bread
Tues: pulled pork cobs with potato wedges and veg
Weds: Steak pie (with beef stew from freezer) mash, and veg
Thurs: Lasagne (with both sauces in freezer) and wedges and veg
Fri: Leftover chicken (from freezer) noodle stir fry.

As a result I have quite a bit of shopping money leftover this week. So I looked around for some offers and have put in a couple of orders. Coming next week is:

4.5kilo Tomato puree - £1.20
1 kilo basmati rice - £1
6 x Neutrogena facewash - £2.00
6 x cans coconut milk - £2.40
1 kilo - Korma curry paste - £0.99p
1 kilo - Tikka curry paste - 0.99p
4 x tins treacle - 0.99p
3 kilo wholewheat pasta - £3.00
12 kilos!!! Risotto rice - £6.00
4 x sweet chilli sauce - £0.99p
4 x piri piri sauce - £0.99p
2 kilo - Mango and ginger chutney - £2.00
10 kilos Special K cereal - £10.00
20 x Coriander and garlic naan breads - £0.99p
12 x Popadoms - £2.00
and much more!

I have got stuff that would normally make myself because i'm not well so it makes thing easier for me at the moment. I usually order in bulk from short dated food places to last me all year. Im particularly pleased with the wholewheat pasta, risotto rice and naan breads! And the pastes/sauces will make life a lot easier. I like to make my own mango chutney but at this price it was actually more economical to buy the jars and also it saves me a lot of cooking.

Last week I snapped up 4kg spaghetti for £1.50 and 12x packs of paxo wild sage and red onion stuffing mix for £2.00. you do have to pay for delivery so you need to order quite a bit to make this worth it.

So were looking for some garage shelving today for our storecupcoard. Off to Aldi later with my £5 off £40 spend voucher to stock up on boxes of nappies and babywipes for the year too.
All in all, an expensive week! But it should be the starters for a very frugal year.









No comments:

Post a Comment