Monday 11 March 2013

Bacon tomato pasta




Our dinner today as planned (for once!) was bacon cannelloni. Usually i would just do a pasta bake with penne or fusilli, but this pack of pasta I picked up from asda for 35p. And the funky little tubes were calling to me. The cheese sauce you see in the blue tub in the background is a bit naughty. I usually make it myself but this blue tub that makes 8 litres (just add water) was a whopping £1. Cheese, milk and butter are quite expensive so it works out a lot cheaper than making yourself, although I would still prefer to make it myself due to the extra ingredients in the mix (potato starch?!) But in the evening I cannot stand over a stove constantly stirring sauce with two children hanging off my legs. Im giving myself a break and saying its still alot healthier to use an instant mix than to dial out a takeaway. 

Pack of pasta
Bacon lardons/rashers (I had 3 to use up)
I added a carrot, half a pepper and some celery
Also had half a pack of plum tomatoes to use up
Carton of passata
Onions
Garlic
pinch of herbs
dash of lee and perrins
Cheese!

As you can probably tell I just made this up out of whatever I needed to use up in the fridge.

So, fry off the onions and garlic, add bacon. Then add passata, lee and perrins and a pinch of herbs. Add grated carrot, half chopped pepper and some chopped celery. Add a few plum tomatoes if you have some that need using. I didnt add any red wine or tomato puree but you could if you wanted too. Salt and pepper, which i also forgot to add! But bacon is quite salty anyway.




The fiddly bit was filling the pasta tubes! This took
forever and was so messy!



I was going to top it with cheese sauce, but i had quite a bit of the bacon tomato sauce leftover so i topped it with that instead



And plenty of cheese!



Im serving this with tiger baguette (because I picked some up reduced to 15p last night) and honey roast chateney carrots (because they were 49p at Aldi)

Made a pudding too as I had a bruised apple to use



I got another apple out but actually didnt need it in the end. That is a tin of broken manderin segments in juice and it was one of my bulk buys recently, they were selling 10 cans for £1. The bag of crumble mix I am using up, crumble mix is so easy to make on your own but I had this that needed using.



 Apple and manderin crumble with custard for pudding.

Complete evening meal made using stuff that needed using up!

No comments:

Post a Comment