Tuesday 19 March 2013

Batch baking recipe - Carrot cake

Ok, so as facebook friends will know, I had a not so minor meltdown yesterday. OCD monster strikes again. Thanks for everyone who sent me hugs and remined me not to listen to the negative voice inside.

So I was supposed to be making treacle tart monday, but I just could not roll the pastry out, it just crumbled. And I didnt have enough butter defrosted to make another batch. I was trying to think of a cake I could make that wouldnt require butter, and notied the 2 kilo's of carrots on the side waiting for freezing/cooking. Carrot cake usually uses oil, and I had some walnuts, so I doubled a recipe and adapted it to fit my trusty lasagna tray. Half of this recipe is in the freezer and half is in an air-tight container for snacks and desserts through the week. I didnt take any picture as my phone had died and I did it in a rush.

320g sugar
350ml oil 
6 eggs
280g grated carrot
200g walnuts (if you want to!)
zest of 2 Oranges (not strictly necessary but nice)
350g self raising flour
2 tsp bicarbonate soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg

If you want you can add raisins/sultanas too.

Its probably not the right way but I just measured it all into a big baking bowl and switched the whisk on, it came out fine.

Line a large square tin with greasproof paper. Pour into prepared tin and bake for 45mins or so on 180, leave it in the tin for 10mins to cool before tipping it into a wire rack and cooling and slice into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment