Tuesday 5 March 2013

Aldi's super 6

I dont get chance to go shopping in the evening for reduced produce often. So I really take advantage of any offer I can stock up on. Aldi do a super 6 reduced fruit and vegatables, they change every 2 weeks. Some weeks are better than others, obviously, but I'm really, really looking foward to next weeks offers! Which I will post in a minute.
This week I got chateney carrotts, spring onions and celery for 39p each.

Celery I have found I can sneak into almost anything! Always good to bulk out meat and sneak extra veg in the family. I keep a bag of frozen chopped celery in the chest freezer. I break it up often as it is freeing so it doesnt freeze in a block and I can just pour some straight into a pan.

Spring onions I dont use often, but I have a lot of noodles to use up so will be doing more chinese/stir fry meals, and these always go well in those. So I now have a bag of chopped frozen spring onions ready to cook.



And then the chateney carrots. These are a beautiful thing! So sweet even the kids eat them, and I dont need to peel or chop! Just chuck into an oven pan with a bit of olive oil and roast, makes a wonderful side dish to anything. Especially with a bit of honey.



I've tried just freezing these without blanching but they dont come out as good. So just boil a pan of water, stick your carrots in for about 2 mins, then chill.



Bag up and freeze!



Doing this not only saves money (stocking up when cheap) but it reduces waste. Come on, i'm sure im not the only one who plans meals for a week with the best of intentions, only to have 'things' get in the way of said meals? Then the end of the week rolls around and you have to throw out all your produce that has gone bad. Trust me, this will help.

It also significantly helps me because, on bad days the food is already prepped! No standing, peeling, chopping, its all done, just chuck it in! :) simples!

So next week, actually from sunday 10th, the super 6 will be:
1kg Onions
3 pack Leeks
500g Brocolli
1kg Carrots (normal)
500g Parsnips
500g New potatoes
All 49p pack!!!

EEEEEEEE!!!! I will be getting about 4-5 packs of leeks, at least one of those will be making leek and potatoe soup with my potatoes that need using up. 4 Brocolli, 2 of which will be making stilton and Brocolli soup. Might even add some leek! 4 bags of parsnips and 3 bags carrots. The parsnips and two of the carrots i will blanch, combing and freezer ready to pull out and roast for roast dinners. the other bag of carrots will stay in the fridge for the up coming week (I manage to use them in pretty much everything!) Might get 1 bag of potatoes to make a potato and chickpea curry next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment