Wednesday 13 March 2013

Chicken and chickpea curry



Meal number 2 from my chicken, is chicken and chickpea curry.
You need to soak your chickpeas overnight if using dried (I have and used a small handful per person).
 I always start by frying my onions and minced garlic even if im using the slow cooker, boiled onions dont have the right texture somehow. I added 3 cubes of my curry paste (recipe posted earlier in february), my fried onions/garlic, and bowl of chickpeas to my slow cooker.



Then I had a rummage round for veg, there was grated carrot and chopped celery in the freezer, so added a handful of each, some plum tomatoes that needed using and half a pepper in the fridge, so added them too.




I added a carton of passata and stuck it high (at about 9.30 am) while I went out in the garden for a couple of hours. This could all be done in a pan in one go. The most important thing to remember is dont add your cooked chicken or yogurt untill everything else is already cooked, these just need to warm through rather than cook.

Lunch by the way was leftover mash, veg and stuffing from last nights dinner, with fresh gravy.



yum!

Anywayssss, after lunch, and more gardening, at about 2.30pm, everything had cooked and it tasted rather tangy and strong. I switched it the the warm setting and left the lid off for it to cool a little (just until it wasnt bubbling anymore) then I added some yogurt and coconut.



I only used half a packet of creamed coconut the rest is in the fridge, so I will need to come up with a recipe to use that up this week too.

I added about 2 handfuls of cooked chicken.



Stir through, put the lid back on and keep on warm until hubby comes home.
Serving ours with basmati rice, naan and mango and ginger chutney with popadoms. Non of which ive made myself as I managed to get some smashing bulk deals from approved food (yay!)

And I still have this much chicken left:



I think it will last another 2 main meals and a lunch. Ive got the stock cooling and will be posting shortly how to cook with this. Im thinking maybe a chicken pie tomorrow and sweet and sour chicken noodles on friday. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment