Monday 23 September 2013

Lots'a soups!! - carrot and coriander

The super 6 at Aldi the past few weeks and offers at Lidl have been very decent! Seasons changing mean salad veg is becoming more expensive and root veg is becoming more affordable! Ive been busy stocking the freezer with lots of soup this week. Not only is it cheap, but its super nutritious, packed full of vitamins and antioxidants ready for the coming cold months.

Carrot and coriander soup.
This is one of our favourites. 1kilo of carrots cost me 50p. A managed to grab a reduced pot of corander for 25p, fresh has the most nutrients in but you could use ground coriander. 

1 Onion chopped and 3 garlic cloves grated
1 kilo carrots - washed but dont peel them! Once blended you wont be able to taste the skin and its an extra dose of fibre, most of the nutrients are just under the skin. so by not peeling you are saving all the goodness.
Coriander - I used a whole pot but 3/4 teaspoons of ground would work
Stock - I used 2 chicken stock cubes and half a teaspoon of veggie boullion powder in 1.5 litres of boiling water. I did need to top up an extra half a litre water as the carrots take a while to cook.
Cumin - 1 teaspoon. I just added this because I felt like it, not strictly in the recipe
Plenty of fresh cracked black pepper if you can afford the peppercorns
I had some celery to use up so chucked that in too but not necessary

Fry the onion and garlic until soft in a little olive oil (or any oil!) 
Add your veg/herbs and stock
Ass your seasoning and herbs
Top up with water as needed

Almonds go very well with this one and give you a protein/calcium hit. I added smoked ham to mine which was yummy too.

When the veg is soft enough to blend, take off the heat and allow to cool for 10 mins. I use a stick blender for mine as I make them in such large quantities it wont fit in my blender.

Portion into box's (I used leftover takeout box's) and freeze or fridge. Do label them as the colour can change when frozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment