Monday 23 September 2013

Courgette and Dill soup

This one I first did when i'd finished my juicing. Liked it so much ive been making it ever since. Courgette is normally very expensive but there is a small window during summertime when everybody gets influxed with them and the price drops dramatically. They dont freeze well chopped but I have grated and frozen them somewhat successfully. Mostly they just mush so far better in soup.

1 Onion chopped and 3-4 garlic cloves grated
1 kilo courgettes
packet of Dill
I added celery but not necessary
I also had spinach to use up. When my ribs were very bad, my lovely friend Andrina came round and souped all the veg that I was too ill to cook. She mentioned that when she puts spinach in soup she adds in when the soup has finished, just blends it in without cooking. Which never occured to me but I think its fab! Not only does it make the soup very green and fresh but I imagine it preserves a lot more of the nutrients. And spinach really is a powerhouse of vitamin C, vitamin A, Iron and Magnesium and also B-6. 
And 1.5 litres stock, I used 1 chicken stock cube because the dill gives plenty of flavour.

So again just fry off the onion and garlic in oil, add courgettes and fry a little to soften. (also the celery at this point if your using it) Add stock and simmer for 10-15mins and add dill last to preserve the flavour. I put too much dill in so would recommend using half a pack. 

We had some leftover smoked gammon when I made this so I added chunks and before freezing.

No comments:

Post a Comment