Thursday 6 February 2014

Batch baking - making the most of your oven

I was having a rummage around the fridge a couple of weeks ago (yes it has taken me that long to finish this post!) and hade quite a few odds and ends to use up. I did't want to freeze anything if I could help it, I'm trying to wear down the freezer, so decided on a batch baking session.

I made lemon tart yesterday with half a pack of sweet shortcrust pastry that was gifted to me (thank you heather!) It has been frozen so once defrosted needs using in 24hrs really. I also have a bag of leftover crumble topping I made last week, (that I keep confusing with the grated Parmesan next to it!) and a bag of apples I snapped up from morrisons (reduced to 45p) So decided to make a hybrid apple pie/crumble type thingy.


Had a bit of rhubarb jam to use up, so spread that over the base.



topped with a tin of 18p custard


and the cumble mix.

I needed to make some cobs for sandwiches for Friday. Since the oven was already warm from blind baking the pastry, whipped up a batch of dough in the kenwood and stuck it in an oiled bowl. Covered and put in the warm oven to prove.


After a rummage around the fridge, found a tiny bit of cooking bacon that really needed using, along with some fat leftover from roast chicken, some tomatoes that were going squishy and a bit of spinach. All the makings for a lovely batch of 'JJ's cheesy herby bread'. I already had the kenwood out so it didnt take long.
The original recipe goes like this: 
8oz self raising flour
1.5oz fat
4oz cheese
herbs
1 egg
1/4pint milk to bind (maybe less)
1 tsp mustard.

I doubled all the ingredients, except the cheese, I was short on so only added 5oz. Along with it added chopped bacon (nuked in the microwave for 3 mins to cook through) cherry tomatoes chopped up, and a handful of spinach chopped up.








you can egg glaze them but i didnt want to waste an egg so just baked them as they were. Along with the bread once it had finished proving. 3 bits of baking at the same time making maximum use of the energy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment