Wednesday 11 December 2013

Stocking up

I have worked down my food stores quite a lot recently. I keep an extensive store cupboard that has taken me years to build, for when times are tight and we don't have as much money for shopping as I would like. Recently we have been through those times and I have been very grateful for my store cupboards! Call it, 'shopping from your cupboard'.

I've been waiting for approved food to list some decent offers for me to stock up on. I don't buy much of the processed stuff, the occasional uber-cheap chocolate bar pack or pack of crisps will go in my basket along with my usual cheap basics. But for it to be worth paying the delivery price there needs to be a good quantity of stuff at a good price. Last week they had lots of brilliant offers and put in my biggest order yet. My store cupboards are once again filled up ready for more frugal budgeting over the coming months. Approved food sell foods near to or past their best before date usually. Sometimes 95% off their RRP price and I check daily for any bargains. In February this year I bought several kilos of risotto rice at 90% off. also in February they had whole-wheat pasta for the same price as value white pasta in the supermarket, so I got a years worth of that. Here's what I stocked up on this time:


Breadsticks were 5 packs for £1 and lovely for dipping into a baked Camembert for a special starter to share with kids! The kids also love to snack on them.
The pringle type crisps were 3 for £1 and a rare treat. for movie nights together as a family.
The packets in the middle are bread mix. Roasted red onion and balsamic vinegar to be exact ;) They were 3 packs for £1 and I got 6! A special home-made bread goes a long way towards spicing up an otherwise boring meal.
The boxs are cake mix. They were sold unidentified, when they came, they were M&S! in the middle is chocolate fudge cake mix at 2 for £1. on the right is carrot cake mix at 5 for £1! For that price I couldnt make my own. And when i'm really tired and unwell they are really handy to have in to knock up a quick treat.
Bisto gravy granules at the back were 3 for £1. I could make my own but again, this is a lot easier and affordable.
the big bag behind the granules are tea bags. I have yet to try one, but they are catering tea bags so I presume decent. and at 480 tea bags for a whole 99p I was willing to give them a try.
I bought the chicken tonight seasoning mix's for lazy days again. A pack of £1.60 chicken legs (for 1 kilo!) at aldi. Defrost them, put in the baking bag provided with the mix and sprinkle over seasoning. Stick it in the oven. Done. No washing up either with the baking bag ;) At 4 mixs/bags for £1 I was happy with that compromise.
 I also have bags of prawn crakers for 33p each (instead of the usual 75p I pay), sunflower seeds at £1.98 for 375g!! I got two bags of those, I add them to bread. I also got pumpkin seeds, poppy seeds, raisins, organic walnut pieces, organic hazelnuts and more baking bits and pieces.


On the right is 10 madras meal kits for £1.50. I wasn't bothered about the madras seasoning, or even the instant pilau rice, but I will use them of  course. What I really paid for was the naan bread mix! I have made naan bread from scratch, but an instant mix to add water to, shape and bake, makes it a lot more achievable when i'm not well. And I simply cannot afford £1+ for a pack of 2 naan breads.
There were 3 Ramiro peppers for 99p, unfortunately my daughter nicked off with one while I was taking this photo, and ate it. 
On the left, 3 packs of kidney beans and 3 packs of pearl barley for £1.
A kilo pack of organic red lentils for 99p
Behind is 5 packs of M&S double chocolate muffin mix for £1.50.
On the left in the bottom box is 3 kilos of egg noodles for £2.99.
Ontop is bags of tortilla chips at 3 bags for £1. For making chilli nachos.


The poppadoms I usually buy at 89p per pack, were 3 packs for 99p. I got 9. On the right, 5 bottles of lemon juice for £1. A pack of reduced sugar desert mix £1. 5 bottles of frenchs' mustard for £1. 3 tins of black pitted olives for £1. The carnation tins of double cream were 50p each and I got 6! I cant tell you the amount of times we have had to pop to the shop for a pot of cream and come out £15 lighter. If its in the cupboard, I don't need to go to the shops for it. Plus its long-life!
Chow mien sauce were two for £1.50. Not that cheap, but very good for a lazy meal with the egg noodles. And behind them chocolate brownie mix. 


Wild rice!!!! They dont even sell it in most supermarkets. It wasn't cheap, but a heck of a lot cheaper than it should have been. I cant wait to try some! It worked out at £4.80 per kilo. I plan on using it in the same way as the nuts, which were a similar price per kilo (compared to the £12 kilo in the supermarkets!) by adding a handful to dishes and using as a garnish.
Organic sea salt were two bags for £1.50, two bags of organic walnut pieces, a bag of organic hazelnuts and two bags of dried 3 bean mix.

Phew. My store cupboard is now completely stocked up. Things like the nuts especially will save a lot having them in my cupboards at a lower price over the coming year. And a lot of the instant mix's were so much cheaper than making from scratch that it was stupid not to take advantage of the offers. I am not superwoman and I do struggle like everyone else. So having some instant mix's in can be invaluable when I couldn't manage a full dinner or cake from scratch.
I spent £70, the RRP for my entire basket was nearly £300. I've saved myself a lot, in weekly shopping, effort, not to mention sanity. I can make varied meal plans from what I already have, bought at lower prices, and just spend a little weekly on fresh milk and veg etc, which will make everything a lot easier and more organised.

No comments:

Post a Comment