Monday 9 December 2013

Jointing a whole chicken

First of all, i'm aware that all of my pictures have disappeared. Im working on getting them back, please bear with me.

Morrisons had chickens last week at £1.75 kilo. Stupid cheap price. I decided to buy a few to joint since I really wanted to ready chopped fillets in my freezer ready for some easy meals.


Hubby came home with some giants!! These were all around 2.5 kilo birds.


Un-pack your chicken and place on your raw meat board. Cut the strings and un-truss it.
The line down the middle of the two breasts is where your going to start.


Try and get as close to the middle bone as you can, and keep going until you hit bone at the bottom. 
Then you want to slice under the breast, keeping as close as you can to the bone. so angle your knife left and slowly cut diagonally keeping close to the bone.



I find it easier to cut the last bit off without the skin so you can see the line where the breast ends.


That is one huge chicken breast!

Continue with the other breast, getting the knife as close to the bone as you can again.



I weighed these two chicken breasts, they were 750g.  The chicken cost £4.20! Thats cheaper than buying a 750g pack of chicken breast fillets. And thats before youve done anything with this:




1 chicken breast fillet of that size will do a meal bulked out with veg and pulses for my family of four. So I chopped up the breasts and bagged them for the freezer. 


So you are left with the carcass and legs and wings.
I carved up two of the chickens and froze one whole. So that gave my 4 bags of chopped chicken breast. And I wanted the 4 legs for another family meal.

Cut the skin where the drumstick starts. Now to figure out where to joint the thigh, I push the leg back until the joint pops out and cut along there.



You can see the bone there where it has popped through.




One chicken leg quarter. Repeat on the opposite side.

I put the carcass, wings included in my slow cooker and covered it in water and seasoning. Left on high for 8 hrs.


I have a tub of stock and the rest of the meat from the wings and carcass to make another family meal, probably a risotto.

There you go. If you dont fancy rubber chicken this is another way of stretching a chicken over several meals.


No comments:

Post a Comment