Sunday 29 December 2013

Jazzed up beans on toast


We had planned to be out for dinner tonight. But that has been cancelled, so I had to think up another meal to make. Decided to do the Home-made pizza for tea tonight instead, get the family making pizzas together. So the inevitable 'beans on toast' came up for lunch. Im not a huge fan of beans on toast, and hubby downright detests it most of the time. 'Whats for lunch?' 'Beans on toast' 'Right, KFC it is then!'

No. Not this month while were on a spending fast.

So I attempted to jazz it up a bit for us, and it worked quite well :)

A quick root around the fridge produced a wrinkled yellow pepper, i chopped up half and mixed it in with the beans. Then I grabbed one of my small bags of cooking bacon out of the freezer. Defrosted it in the microwave, chopped into little cubes and finished cooking in the microwave on high. Mixed that into the beans, added a squirt of BBQ sauce, and microwaved the lot. Toasted some bread (that my darling little sister gave me! thankyou!) topped the buttered toast with the bean mix. Me and the kids topped ours with cheese. Hubby topped his with a little cheese and a LOT of chilli and garlic flakes.

It went down a storm. Very, very cheap and used up bread and half a pepper that was past its best. Cooking bacon is a very, very cheap way of adding extra meat an flavour to otherwise boring dish's. 


So far, no spend! no petrol top-ups, though one is due on Monday. No shopping. zero. which is making me twitchy! But i'm persevering, I have cupboard bursting, i do not need more. I have ran out of eggs, but they aren't on the menu plan for the next week so I will pick some up next weekend. 

I have box's upon box's to take to the skip! Have been waiting to take them for ages and I just need them gone today. We were planning on going to the skip this afternoon, albeit rather reluctantly. When I made a comment about 'well you could always burn them'. I've seen a fair few Christmas lights recently and non of them light up as much as my hubby's eyes when I mention fire. So that's what were doing this afternoon now. saving the petrol and stress of a skip run, hauling out the incinerator and burning them this afternoon. Good lesson on fire safety for the kids too. I get rid of my box's, while saving petrol, and hubby gets to set fire to things, win, win!


No comments:

Post a Comment