Sunday 12 May 2013

Odds and ends make for interesting recipes......

End of the week, and ive been fortunate enough to pick up quite a few reductions this week very cheap. Unfortunately that means I have a lot of cooking to do quickly before it goes bad and I am determined not to waste anything!



This was meant to be lunch today. The bockwurst sausages on the right are a german smoked sausage with 84% meat content, and were reduced to about £1 for 5. The  hot dog rolls on the left, I bought to go with them, were reduced to 24p and unfortunatly have a few spots of mould. So I will be removing the mould and whizzing them into breadcrumbs later for a treacle tart. Hubby has asked me to do a meal he has been wanted to try, ever since finding a picture of facebook. So this is what we did with the sausages: 

(Warning: could be considered slightly freaky and certainly isnt a respectful way to treat such lovely sausages)



Chop up into chunks.
Grab your spaghetti:



Bad picture sorry, but skewer the sausage chunks with spaghetti! 

Cook n a pan of boiling water for 10mins.



We topped ours with cheese and no veggies whatsoever on request of hubby. Usually I would do a tomatoe based sauce with onions and garlic.

I also had 3 tiny, very sad looking parsnips knocking around the bottom of the fridge.

So, I decided to make a parsnip, parmasen and thyme loaf, a la Jack Monroe (www.agirlcalledjack.com)



Peeled, and grated the parsnips, added a good few pinch's of 'parmasen' cheese (which was actually tesco value italian style cheese that was reduced, grated and frozen!) from the freezer and also a few pinch's of chopped thyme from the freezer. Added this lot to the breadmaker along with 2 cups of warm water, a glug of olive oil, 3 1/2 cups of strong flour, a shake of sugar, a shake of salt and a couple of teaspoons of dried yeast.



Its in my bread-maker right now and smells amazing! I love herbs and cheese in bread so this should be good.

Earlier in the week, I couldnt post due to little boy stealing my phone (camera!) We did a 2 kilo chicken in the slow cooker. Made some home-made colslaw and jacket potatoes to go with it. I managed to pick up a really good pack of cooking bacon from sainsburys for £1.09. Some of the packs are basically full of rind and fat. This one had a good few steaks in it. so I made a chicken and bacon pie the next day with a little of the bacon and a little cooked chicken, lots of leftover veg in the fridge:



Also in the piccie is the tomato, bacon and cheese quiche on the left. 

Made a chicken risotto with the remaining stock and a little chicken for the third day. And ive frozen the rest, which consisted of a whole breast and most the meat from a leg. 

Last night, I made my way down to sainburys with a £10 giftcard and bought a half leg of lamb for dinner. We had family over and no time to defrost anything. I have half that joint left n the fridge which I will be stretching over the next 2 day, 1 with cous cous and 1 biriyani.

Also, last week and this week too I made a vat of brocolli and stilton soup, Ive been making a lot of this as i've managed to pick up a lot of reduced brocolli recently and have NO freezer space! (Literally, theres a chair ontop of it keeping it shut!) and I still have a 650g block of stilton leftover from the christmas reductions. (I had 3 blocks at 80p each). I usually serve my soup with walnuts and a good crusty home-made bread with butter:






As I said I have no freezer space so this is in the fridge for lunch for the rest of the week.
Im thinking the remaining stilton may end up in some stilton and walnut scones.

I made my first ever bakewell pudding last night and it was amazing! Will definitely be making it again. But for this week I have a treacle tart and an egg custard to make. Will (hopefully) post pics when I get round to making them!


No comments:

Post a Comment