Sunday 12 May 2013

Epic whoopsies and treacle tart.............

Sometimes, I go to look for reductions, and come back with a pot of hummous and colslaw and having spent £5 on petrol. But every so often, it pays off:



£10.15

There is a little joint of topside beef which we sliced into two steaks - £2.50
Pack of brasing steak - £1.50
Pack of 2 Duck breast fillets (naughty treat! v.expensive) - £2.00
2 packs of 4x Turkey quarter pounder burgers 60p each - £1.20
2 packs of 650g lean mince beef 80p each - £1.60
A pack of salad leaves - 15p
3 x cans parioli tomatoes - FREE! (with 50p coupons at tesco)
3 x ristorante pizzas 40p each (with coupons) -£1.20 (for tea tonight)
Bottle of red wine  - £3
pack of extra mozerella for pizza - 40p


I got lots of veg and froze on monday. But it has been weeks since I got meat. And ive never got it this cheap before! so very, very, very happy right now! :) I had to do a major re-shuffle of my freezer, but i'm so happy with my £10 spend.

I had a budget of £20 for this week, I have £5 left for the rest of the week, as I have been trying to make an effort to shop for reductions.

The only thing is, it is SO stressful! Seriously, there were people swearing, shoving and grabbing, one guy literally snatched a pack of mince out of my hands after the guy reduced it for me. You have to have nerves of steel and accept the fact that most people are going to be very aggresive :(

But, today at least, it was worth it! :) Came away with lots of bargains to feed my family for the week and beyond.

I made a treacle tart for the first time! :)

Whizzed up all the hot dog buns that were going off into bredcrumbs:



Line a pie dish with shortcrush pastry:



Blind bake for 10 mins


Heat up 300g golden syrup, 50g black treacle in a saucepan
Add 150g breadcrumbs, juice and zest of 1 lemon, and about 2 tsp grated ginger, a shake of salt.


Mix in breadcrumbs once melted and add to your pastry case. Bake for half an hour.




Also, parnip, thyme and parmasen loaf turned out HUGE:



Smells kinda fruity and herby. Cant wait to try it! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment