Monday 13 May 2013

Leftover lamb biryani


Leftover lamb makes the most amazing biryani. Biryani is a spiced, indian rice dish, and it is so simple to make! Especially if you cheat with some pataks curry paste ;)

I boil about a handful of basmati rice per person. Basmati is expensive compared to the value 40p a kilo rice, but trust me, it is worth the extra expense when it comes to indian food.
I usually add mushrooms but didnt have any this time. So I chopped an onion, grated about 4 cloves of garlic into the pan and fried in some olive oil. Then added a pepper, and half of my leftover lamb. Add a good tablespoon of pataks curry paste (I used a bit of tikka and balti) andd stir it round to coat everything.
Add your boiled rice and another tablespoon of curry paste (you will have to use judgment as to how much you need to add, it will depend on how much rice you have), stir through and fry for 5 mins or so.

Thats it! your done :)

So simple and yummy. You could do this with just veggies, add a couple of chicken drumsticks, add some meat it is a dish on its own. Were having it with mango chutney and popadoms.



I still have a slice of lamb each left to go with cous cous for tomorrows dinner.

I did some baking today, using up all the fruit/veg in the fridge (plus the blinking stilton!)



I made a tomato and cheese (half cheddar, half stilton) quiche for our lunches tomorrow, a banana loaf (which was eaten att lunch-time with friends who came over for lunch!) and a fruit crumble with apple, pineapple and blackberries. Topped with a crumble with oats and pinenuts. I still have a lot of pineapple left so will be finding a way to use that up soon.

The parsnip, thyme and parmasen loaf was GORGEOUS! We polished that off at lunch along with he brocolli and stilton soup :) so will put another loaf on overnight to be fresh baked for morning breakfast. Cant beat fresh bread and home-made jam! 

No comments:

Post a Comment