Wednesday 23 October 2013

Sausage and cider casserole




I had 4 lincolnshire sausages (the herby type) to use up tonight. Usually I do a sausage and bean casserole to go with pasta or a jacket potato. But we have bolognase tomorrow with the leftover half pack of mince, so didnt fancy anything tomatoey.

4 sausages-halved
some cooking bacon -cubed
2 onions - I used 1 red and 1 white- cut into wedges
1 apple - cored and chopped
some cider
bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon herbs
1 cove garlic
seasoning

Quarter onions, add to baking pan, half sausages and add, add cubed bacon, pop in the oven and for half an hour.

After they have browned, remove from pan. Add a tablespoon of flour and whisk into fat/sauce. Then whisk in some cider to make a thin sauce. 

Add a grated garlic clove, bay leaf and herbs, seasoning. Add back onions, sausage and bacon. Add cubed apple and mix. Put back into oven for another half hour.

Served ours with yorkshires, roast potatoes, roast carrots and parsnips.



Kids wolfed it down too! After nicking half my yorkshires behind my back while I was cooking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment