Wednesday 2 October 2013

Butter-less bacon and cheese scones



I usually make these with cooking bacon fried till crispy. Im still using up that same pack of smoked ham! So I used that. Just cut it into strips, didnt bother frying it. But you could, if you wanted extra work and washing up ;)

These use vegetable oil, I came up with this because I had run out of both butter and margarine.

Cooked bacon/smoked ham
2 cups flour (I used self-raising)
3 tsp baking powder
salt
cayenne pepper
1 cup strong cheese
3 tsp veg oil
125ml milk
1 egg

Stick all the dry ingredients plus cheese and ham in the bowl and mix. In a jug whisk together milk, egg and oil. Then add the liquid to the dry mix and combine (I used the K beater on my kenwood because I was feeling very lazy). I dont have a scone cutter, so just rolled into shape with my hands and put onto a greased baking tray. Yummy! Munchies for the rest of the week! :) Or rest of the day the way the kids are munching today.

Aaaaaaaand, I STILL have half the pack of the smoked ham left!! 
I have 4 sausages that need using up tonight so making a small toad in the hole with mash and the last of the savoy cabbage. Tomorrow i'm going to be using the remaining half pack of smoked ham to make brie and bacon risotto.

No comments:

Post a Comment