Friday 25 October 2013

Clemantine marmalade

I scored a kilo of clemantines for 69p from morrisons a couple of weeks ago. My daughter ate half of them over a few weeks, and 4 went into two clemantine cakes. I still had 6 left, so decided to marmalize them ;)

6 clemantines
1 lemon
1 kilo sugar
1.5 litres hot water

I filled 4 small jars, no clue what size they are though.



Start off by juicing your lemon and setting the juice to one side. Add the lemon rind and whole clemantines to the pan and boil for 2 hrs or so until soft.



Remove and allow to cool. Slice in half and scoop the inside pulp/flesh out, back into the pan of water. Mash thoroughly and boil for 15 mins.




Meanwhile, finely shred the clemantine and lemon rind.



Strain the liquid in a colander/sieve, and push down with a ladle to extract all the juice. 



Add the juice back to the pan with 1 kilo sugar, lemon juice, and the rind and boil.

Meanwhile steralise the jam jars and heat up, I pour boiling water in them, but do it gradually and carefully so they dont shatter from the sudden change in temperature.



When the marmalade has reached setting point, drain the boiling water from the jars and ladle the hot jam in. Sealing tightly.


Mine sealed themselves as the were very hot.

Now the reason there are 5 jars in that pic is because I originally made 5 jars. But although the jars sealed, the marmalade didnt set. So this morning I emptied them back into a pan, re-boiled for half an hour, re-steralised the jars and tried again, this time it has set well. So I had to boil the jam for about an hour and a half in total before it set. I now have 4 jars.

My sourdough starter is looking like this :



this morning, so time to make some sourdough to go with my marmalade :)


No comments:

Post a Comment