Monday 18 February 2013

Mango chutney


Aldi had Mango's on offer for 59p this week. Not quite as cheap as i'd like, but cheap enough for me to get a mango chutney buzz. Here is the recipe:
2 Mango's 
3 apples 
1/2 red pepper 
1/2 onion 
ginger to taste (I used about 3 tablespoons grated) 
1/2 cup white vinegar 
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg 
1/2 teaspoon salt 

Chop up the apple, mango, onion and ginger, chuck into a pan with vinegar and sugar.



Boil for about 20mins, it will go soft and start to congeal a little.
Sorry couldnt take a picture at this point as my little 'darlings' had me distracted!
Add the spices and stir through, simmer for another 5mins.
Pour into sterile jam jars and seal.


Tada! 1 and 3/4 jar of chutney. A spoonful of this stuff can jazz up the most boring meal. These are traditionally indian of course, serve with popadoms, or as a side to curry, ontop of naan etc. But this goes well with almost any meat! Paprika roasted chicken drumsticks? leftover roast chicken cobs? Roast Pork? With fried rice? Possibilities are endless! You could add garlic to the recipe, or cardomom pods, cumin seeds, paprika? Go wild! ;)

A note on jamming: The 'correct' method is to always use new jars and water bath them to seal. I am a bad girl. I dont do this, I re-use jam jars, I pour boiling water into them to steralise them (after making sure they are already warmed up!!!) and I pour the hot contents into the jars and pop the lids on and they seal themselves! I always check they are sealed, if they dont seal, then into the fridge to preserve and use up.


No comments:

Post a Comment