Friday 26 December 2014

Butchered a bargain turkey.....

 
My mum picked me up a bargain turkey today! 6.6kilos. £5 down from £33.
I debated roasting the bird and shredding it, but decided instead to joint it up, with help from a very long suffering husband!
Wish I'd took pictures of this.
 
So what we were left with were:
 
2 turkey drumstick & thigh joints - I left these as whole joints with the bone in and skin on. Possibly will de-bone and use the meat, use the bone for stock or might marinate and roast them as they are.
 
2 turkey wings - Hubby had a 'giant hot wings' vision and marinated them ready for roasting.
 
2 giant breasts, boneless and skinless - I got 3 bags of cubed breasts from these, each to make a meal for a family of 4. Curries/sweet and sour etc.
 
That left the carcass with still quite a bit of meat on it. Split the carcass in half to fit in my slow cooker. First half went in with an onion, carrot, bay-leaf, salt and pepper and a pinch of herbs, covered with water. I should get plenty of rich stock and a good amount of meat once I strip the carcass in the morning to make a lovely turkey soup.
 
The other half the carcass would've gone in another slow cooker the same, except my other one broke! And the turkey was use by today. So I roasted it off in the oven. It'll give a richer flavour and it will keep another 3 days now its been cooked. When the first lot has finished ill start off the next lot.
 
Potentially 8 family meals from the turkey :)

No comments:

Post a Comment