Thursday 20 June 2013

Fishcakes




These took me 2 days to make and were a pain in the butt! 
I dont know if I will be making them again, but incase they would benefit anyone I thought id post them here.

I had lots of different fish in the freezer that I really needed to use up somehow. Fish pie is what i'd do normally but i needed something to put back in the freezer, to just pull out ready made and stick in the oven. So I went with fishcakes. These were a mix of 2 Mackrel, 3 salmon fillets and 2 cod fillets.



Boil some peeled potatoes to make mash! I had half a can of sweetcorn that needed using, so added that to the chopped/flaked fish, along with some peas all cooked together. I added some dill that I had in the freezer but most of the seasoning will come from what I put in the mash.

Once youve mashed your potatoes (with an egg and some butter, and lots of cracked black pepper, salt and whatever herbs you fancy!) add them to the fish/veg mix and combine.



Whisk an egg in a bowl and fill another bowl with breadcrumbs. I keep a bag of breadrumbs in the freezer from any leftover bread not suitable for eating or bread and butter pudding, and also scraping the crumbs from cutting up bread into a freezer bag.



And basically you just take a scoop of fish mix, shape it into a patty, dip it in egg, then dip it in breadcrumbs make sure it gets covered. I had to freeze them flat and once frozen pop them in a freezer bag or they got out of shape.

Sounds simple?
It wasnt.

For some reason the whole process took me 2 days. Maybe because I wasnt well at the time or maybe because of all the steps involved and having two kids hanging off my legs. Either way, I think ill stick to fish pie next time I have fish needing using up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment